1 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, finely sliced
2 tsp soft brown sugar
900g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
8 good quality sausages
200ml boiling water
100ml red wine
4 tsp/20g Goldenfry Onion Gravy Granules
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
100ml milk, warmed
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and sprinkle with the sugar. Cook gently, stirring from time to time for 12-15 minutes or until the onion is slightly caramelised.
- Preheat the grill then cook the sausages for 15 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes.
- Add the boiling water to the gravy granules, mix until smooth, then stir in the red wine until fully blended. Add to the onions along with the Worcestershire sauce and wholegrain mustard and gently simmer.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash with warm milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put a mound of mashed potato on each plate with a couple of sausages and spoon over the gravy.