For the beef stew
2 tbsp vegetable oil
750g beef stewing steak, chopped into bite-sized pieces
10 tsp/50g Goldenfry Original Beef Gravy Granules
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g onion, sliced finely
150g carrots cut into large chunks
200g button mushrooms
300ml Yorkshire Bitter
2 fresh bay leaves
3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dumplings
2 x 142g Goldenfry Farmhouse Style Dumpling Mix
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- For the beef stew. Heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole and fry the beef until browned on all sides.
- Add the garlic, all the vegetables and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the Yorkshire Bitter, water and herbs.
- Sprinkle over the gravy granules and stir well.
- Cover with a lid, transfer to the oven and cook for about two hours, or until the meat is tender.
- For the pastry. Empty the contents of 2 packs into a mixing bowl. Add 120ml (8 tbsp) of cold water. Mix
- together with a fork until a firm dough is formed. If dough is too dry and extra water drop by drop to form dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface big enough to line a pie basin and enough spare to cut out a round lid.
- Line your pie basin with the pastry, fill with the beef and cover with a pastry lid.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 20-30 minutes, or until pastry has risen and golden.